The Tex Hill Scholarship Program
San Antonio Academy proudly announces The Tex Hill Scholarship Program which seeks outstanding young men who have demonstrated excellence in scholarship, citizenship and participation in activities and who demonstrate the potential to become leaders in the school community. The Scholarships provide tuition, leadership retreat fees, textbooks and a stipend for uniforms to two 5th grade boys who will attend San Antonio Academy during their 6th, 7th and 8th grade years. The three-year Tex Hill Scholarship is valued at more than $70,000 and will be awarded without respect to financial need.
Applications for the 2020 Tex Hill Scholarship will open October 7, 2019 through January 7, 2020.
To be eligible to receive a Tex Hill Scholarship, each applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Applicants will be young men who are currently enrolled in the 5th grade. Applications will be accepted from students new to San Antonio Academy and from boys currently enrolled at SAA.
- Applicants shall have at least a 90 average in all academic courses during their 4th and 5th grade years.
- Applicants shall score at or above the 90th percentile in Reading, Language, Math and on the Battery Composite on a nationally-normed test; or applicants shall score at the highest category in Reading, Language, Math and on the Battery Composite of the State-administered Standardized Test.
- Applicants shall have a record of exemplary school-based citizenship.
- Applicants shall have a record of active participation in extracurricular activities.
- Applicants new to SAA shall visit the school for one full school day during the weeks of January 13-16, 2020; or January 21-23, 2020; or January 27-30 2020.
- Parents new to SAA should visit during the Admissions Open House on January 17, 2020.
- All parents whose sons currently attend SAA, and are interested in applying for the Scholarship, will meet with the Director of Admissions and Head of School after chapel on the morning of October 23, 2019.
Each Tex Hill Scholarship application will be reviewed in January by the Tex Hill Application Committee. This Committee consists of the Director of Curriculum and Student Services, the Commandant and no fewer than five SAA teachers. Each of these evaluations receives equal weighting.
The vote of The Tex Hill Application Committee, determines the four finalists.
Each finalist will be interviewed by the members of The Tex Hill Scholarship Committee on February 10, 2020 (subject to change). This Committee consists of two or more members of the community who are familiar with San Antonio Academy, but who do not work at SAA or have a child enrolled at SAA.
The Tex Hill Scholarship Committee will select Scholarship recipients based on their overall record and on their interviews with the Tex Hill Scholarship Committee.
The Tex Hill Scholarship winners will be announced by February 24, 2020.
It should be noted that the selection process will be based, in part, on subjective judgments.
Applications will be accepted from October 7, 2019 until the deadline, January 7, 2020.
Applications which are not complete and delivered to San Antonio Academy by 5:00PM on January 7, 2020 will not be considered.
Two one-page letters of application for The Tex Hill Scholarship Program will be required – one written by the 5th grade applicant and one written by the applicant’s parent(s) or legal guardian.
The one-page letters should tell the Committees about the 5th grade boy who is making the application, including information about his academic and overall performance in school and his participation in extracurricular activities in the school, community or place of worship. Applicants should describe one example of the applicant’s positive influence on his peers in these activities.
The parents or legal guardians of the applicant shall submit, along with the two letters of application, the final report card or transcript for the applicant’s 2018-2019 school year, the most current report card for the 5th grade year, the most recent record of standardized testing (e.g., Stanford Achievement Test, STAAR, CTP, etc.) and San Antonio Academy’s Tex Hill Scholarship Application.
A letter of recommendation is required from an adult (who is not a 5th grade teacher) with whom the applicant interacts in an extracurricular activity.